Organized for Efficiency
The National Commission for UNESCO has been organized in a manner that facilitates a number of activities on UNESCO-related activities in the Federation. As such key individuals have been commissioned to fill a number of specialized roles and carry out the associated functions. These positions include:
In St Kitts and Nevis the members are very cognizant of their role as team players in trying to shape concepts and needs into constructive action. Their roles apart from raising the visibility of UNESCO and acting as liaisons between the Government and UNESCO include:
- Mobilizing national partnership with civil society groups, non-governmental organizations, professional bodies, media organizations, and private sector in support of UNESCO’s work at the country level; as well as promoting networking at the regional and International levels.
- Assist in the conceptualization, implementation and evaluation of projects for consideration by UNESCO for funding as well as to coordinate UNESCO’s activities in the Federation.
- Disseminate information to the mass media, general public, individuals and Government Departments, and other institutions concerned with aspects of UNESCO.
- Establish communication with the Permanent Delegation to UNESCO Headquarters.
- Secure the attendance of the country’s respective delegations, and relevant Government officials, to UNESCO meetings, seminars, workshops.
- Secure attendance by the Secretary General to all High Level UNESCO meetings.
- To assist in carrying out surveys and inquiries by replying to questionnaires, participating in interviews etc in order to obtain the views of the relevant institutions on UNESCO related matters.
- To assume organizational, operations and implementation responsibility for some of UNESCO’s local programmes including the observance of International l Days.
- To foster close liaisons between state agencies, professionals, associations, universities and other institutions, concerned with Education, The Sciences, Culture and Information.
The Secretary General of the Commission serves as the designated official on UNESCO in the Federation. He/she is therefore the main executing officer of UNESCO related activities. As such he/she:
- Functions as Chief Executive Officer of the UNESCO Secretariat.
- Chairs meetings of the National Commission. He/she calls the meetings of the Commission, prepares and approves the agenda.
- Ensures there is effective participation and decision making at meetings managing potential conflicts of interest in accordance with departmental policies by;
a. ensuring adequate follow-up and reporting; and
b. promoting good relations with the Minister and other relevant portfolio Ministers, the Secretary and other staff of the department, and key stakeholders.
c. providing policy advice to the National Commission on the Government’s policy priorities.
St. Kitts and Nevis National Commission for UNESCO Members
|NO||NAME||UNESCO Programme Area||ADDRESS||Tel/Cell-Phone||Email Address|
|1||Ms. Maria Crawford||Information & Communication||Director, Education Media Unitfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|2||Mr. Cosbert Manchester||Heritage||St. Christopher National Trustemail@example.com|
|3||Mrs. Victoria O’Flaherty||World Heritage||Archives-Gov. Headquartersfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|4||Mr. Pierre Liburd||Youth||Ag. Director Youthemail@example.com|
|5||Mr Pierre Bowrin||Information and Communication||ICT Policy Advisor, Ministry of Technologyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|6||Mr Percy Hanley||Heritage||General Manager Brimstone Hill Society National Parkemail@example.com
|7||Mrs. Jacqueline Christopher||Community Development||Victoria Road Basseterre||467-1222 or firstname.lastname@example.org|
|8||Mr Kertney Thompson||TVET||Director TVET Council, Standford Buildingemail@example.com|
|9||Mr Darryll Lloyd||Education||Ministry of Education, Stanford Buildingfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|10||Dr. Neva Pemberton||Education||Chief of Education Planning,CDU Building||467-1458||Neva.email@example.com|
|11||Dr Leighton Narraine||Natural Science||Director Employee and Programme Development, CFB College||467-1307||Leighton.firstname.lastname@example.org
|12||Mr Troy Mills||Culture||Ministry of Culture-Port Zante||467-1397||Troy.email@example.com|
|13||Ms Ruby Thomas||N.G.O (The Ripple Society Ist.||Nevis Street, ( Retired worker)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|14||Ms Celia Christopher||Gender||Ministry of Gender Affairs, Victoria Roademail@example.com|
|15||Mr. Antonio Maynard||Secretary General Natcom||Ministry of Education Annex, Cayon, Street||466-8581- firstname.lastname@example.org|